Alpha GPC Review
Alpha GPC, also known as choline alfoscerate or L-Alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine, is a water-soluble choline compound. It is a natural nootropic that works both ways: on its own it is a respected nootropic known as a powerful memory increaser, and in combination with other nootropic supplements is a strong potentiator which can take cognitive enhancement to a new level. Choline is important to early development and growth. It is also important to optimal functioning of our liver and brain. It is naturally present in the body in small amounts and it is manufactured as an extract of purified soy lecithin. Although there are some considerable dietary sources of Alpha GPC (wheat germ, dairy products and organ meats), concentrations achieved through dietary intake are well below the concentrations achieved through using supplements.
Alpha GPC works reliably and quickly, primarily by delivering essential choline to the brain. When used on its own, Alpha GPC has important nootropic properties, such as protection against brain aging and memory enhancement. Extensive studies involving thousands of participants have proven it to be an efficient treatment for memory loss associated with aging with a variety of disorders, such as stroke, Alzheimer’s disease and vascular dementia. Alpha GPC also has neuroprotective anti-aging effects and studies show it may also be effective in the treatment of anxiety.
Alpha GPC also has non-nootropic benefits, including the ability to promote quick recovery after physical effort and increase cell membrane health. Studies also show that it may act as a dopaminergic, stimulating the release of the hormone dopamine. This could have potential to be a mood booster and for treating neurodegenerative disorders, such as Parkinson’s disease.
However for many people who use nootropics, the real power of Alpha GPC is in its potentiating properties when used in combination with other supplements. Whatever nootropic you are taking, Alpha GPC is a great addition to your cognitive enhancement stack for improving brain health, memory and learning. It is considered one of the best choline sources that can be purchased as a nootropic. Choline is a crucial nutrient in many cognitive and other brain related processes and functions. It can also prevent the minor headaches, which are one of the few side effects connected with racetams.
In the US, Alpha GPC is considered a dietary supplement and can be bought without prescription. This supplement is regulated in Europe, where it is prescribed for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease and sold under the brand names Delecit and Gliatilin.
Alpha GPC should see extensive benefits for almost everyone because it has been estimated that about 90% of the population doesn’t get the recommended levels of choline in their diet. There are many researchers who claim that there are many benefits that could be reaped from using Alpha GPC on a regular basis. Here is a list of Alpha GPC benefits:
- Mental stamina and mood – Many people who use Alpha GPC say that taking this supplement improves their mood and gives them more energy. This could be explained by Alpha GPC ability to increase the human growth hormone production, which has anti-aging, longevity and energizing effects. It may also have to do with the additional choline the supplement provides, which boosts alertness and increases clarity of thought.
- Neuroprotectant – Alpha GPC improves and protects overall health of brain by increasing the ability of body to repair damaged cell membranes and stimulating the development of new brain cells. This is a very important benefit in terms of anti-aging.
- Memory booster: This supplement is most known for its ability to enhance memory. Studies have proven that Alpha GPC is an efficient treatment for loss of memory caused by many age-related disorders, including various forms of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. It has also been shown to be efficient at restoring memory in healthy young individuals following temporary chemically-caused amnesia.
- Choline source in stacks: Alpha GPC is a favourite choline source for many people who use nootropics, who find its reliable and quick action an ideal matching with racetams. When combined with other nootropic supplements, Alpha GPC prevents the minor headaches sometimes documented as racetam side effects and can provide plenty of choline to achieve optimal cognitive boosting effects.
- Quick post-exertion recovery and enhanced strength: Alpha GPC is an important supplement for athletes or any person who wants to build lean muscle mass, perform better and feel peak energy during training and recover rapidly afterward because it stimulates the human growth hormone production. Studies have shown that a 600 mg dosage of this supplement taken 1.5 hours before bench pressing boosted power by 14 percent.
- Energy enhancer: Alpha GPC is most famous for its memory and general cognitive enhancement effects. However, it may also act as a mild stimulant. Some people who use this supplement claim it provides a lasting energy enhancement when taken before training.
How It Works
Alpha GPC is structurally composed of phosphate, choline and glycerol. It is considered a cholinergic, or primary choline storage form. Their mechanism of action has been comprehensively researched and is well understood. However, the way in which it affects some neuronal functions is unclear.
The main way that Alpha GPC works is by enhancing the amount of available choline, which then naturally converts to, and stimulates the production of, Acetylcholine.
Alpha GPC is a water soluble supplement and it is both highly bioavailable and quick acting when used orally. It crosses the blood brain barrier soon after usage and most people will see effects within an hour.
Alpha GPC is the potent brain chemical which has been mostly determined to influence many cognitive functions, including focus/concentration, memory formation and recall and learning ability and that is why this supplement is considered a nootropic.
The extra choline Alpha GPC provides is also what makes it so important as part of nootropic stack, especially in combination with nootropics like aniracetam, oxiracetam, pramiracetam, piracetam and other members of racetam family. These nootropic supplements work by stimulating acetylcholine receptor sites. This makes maintaining a sufficiency of choline in the brain extremely important. When inadequate choline is present the brain can’t produce enough Acetylcholine to satisfy the stimulated receptor sites and the racetams are not able to accomplish optimal results. Also, insufficient choline can cause minor but irritating side effect known as „racetam headache“.
Alpha GPC has also got other functions, but they are not completely understood.
- It serves as a precursor for phospholipids in neural membranes and is thought to promote neuronal functioning by increasing neuronal membrane fluidity.
- Alpha GPC is known to work as a neuroprotectant, preventing damage and maintaining neuronal health. It is also thought to promote synaptic signalling.
- It also seems to act together with the pituitary glands to enhance the production of human growth hormone or somatropin, which encourages growth, repair and reproduction of cells. This is why Alpha GPC is so useful to athletes, enhancing lean muscle mass and strength and improving recovery time. Human growth hormone also has important longevity and anti-aging effects.
Alpha GPC Dosage
There are few guidelines relative to what dose of Alpha GPC is the most effective. Alpha GPC is a water soluble supplement and that is why it is very easy to take it and also extremely quick-acting. For that reason, many professionals recommend a daily dose range of between 400 to 1200 mg per day, usually with breakfast and/or lunch.
Alpha GPC is a bit stimulating, so it is advised to not take it any later than the early to mid-afternoon. Alpha GPC can also be used as an efficient energy booster.
Alpha GPC is excellent at helping to prevent the effects of jet lag. You can also take Alpha GPC choline as a pre-training supplement.
As is the case with all supplements, it is recommended to begin with the lowest possible efficient dosage and build up gradually as necessary.
Alpha GPC is an outstanding choline source for use in stacks with other nootropics, especially the racetams. This means Noopept, Oxiracetam, Piracetam, Pramiracetam and Aniracetam.
If you begin to encounter headaches the adding Alpha GPC into a racetam stack is even more important. This usually indicates a need for additional choline.
The additional choline may also help to potentiate the normal nootropic effects, enhancing any expected cognitive benefits.
If taken at recommended dosage amounts, Alpha GPC is very safe and does not have any side effects. Most side effects of taking Alpha GPC are generally mild. Some people may experience insomnia, skin rash, headaches, heartburn, nervousness and fatigue.
Also it is possible to overdo things by taking too much of this supplement. Some users who go beyond the suggested dose may experience a slight fishy smell, which is the outcome of choline breakdown. If this occurs, simply lower the dosage.
There have more severe side effects documented in some cases. Some users reported encountering confusion and dizziness. When using Alpha GPC, should you encounter those more severe side effects, to stop using it and immediately consult a doctor.
There are many brands to choose from, but these two are recommended for their high quality products:
- Now Foods Alpha GPC 300mg, Veg-Capsules, 60-Count: New foods has proven many times that they make amazing quality products, work efficiently and ship quickly.
- Jarrow Formulas Alpha GPC, 300mg, 60 Vegetarian Capsules : Jarrow Formula’s is another respected company you can trust.
Alpha GPC is a safe, highly efficient and well-tolerated source of choline. It is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to achieve the best results possible with nootropic supplements and who is interested to improve their vitality, memory and physical strength.
Read More Reviews
Zhou – Thyroid Support Complex Review Focus Energy Mood Cognition Energy boosters are an essential component to our lives today. But, as many people do it in a wrong way, there seems to be some stigma over the issue. Eating and drinking a lot of sugar-rich foods will...read more