Bacopa Monnieri Review
Bacopa Monnieri is an herbal nootropic, a plant-based supplement which decreases anxiety and increases brain power naturally. It is one of the oldest and most well-known nootropics. Bacopa Monnieri was discovered in India and it has centuries of history as a powerful cognitive booster, learning ability and mood booster and brain protectant.
Bacopa Monnieri has also been proven to have important anti-anxiety and anxiolytic effects, decreasing feelings of stress and producing a feeling of tranquillity and calmness. People who use Bacopa say that it is an amazing general relaxant and can promote the quality of sleep so they wake feeling refreshed and rested.
The nootropic effects of this supplement are similar to those of Piracetam, one of the most well-known chemically synthesized „brain drugs“. However, Bacopa is an herbal supplement that is synthesized in nature and not in the lab. The Bacopa Monnieri supplement is made from the extract of the Bacopa Monnieri plant. This is a low-growing perennial plant, originally cultivated in areas like India, Sri Lanke, Vietnam, Nepal and southern US States.
Bacopa has also been used as a successful treatment for leprosy, epilepsy and tumor, but how it functions to alleviate symptoms of such different diseases is not completely understood yet.
Bacopa is used in many Asian countries as a traditional treatment for many disorders, ranging from asthma to ulcers, epilepsy and indigestion. However, it is primarily known in the west for its powerful nootropic properties.
- Anti-Aging Benefits: One of the most interesting aspects of Bacopa is its potential as a powerful anti-aging supplement. Traditionally used as a brain tonic in Indian medicine, Bacopa Monnieri has been proven to have potent antioxidant characteristics that can protect brain against environmental stressors involved in the cognitive deterioration associated with aging and closely connected with Alzheimer’s disease and other neurological problems.
- Stress Alleviation and Anxiety Decrease: One of the most amazing and exciting aspects of Bacopa is its ability to reduce stress and alleviate anxiety. Clinical studies showed that Bacopa Monnieri importantly decreased depression and anxiety in participants. Animal trials compare Bacopa Monnieri favorably to other plant extracts for the efficient treatment of anxiety and other psychiatric disorders.
- Enhanced Learning Ability: Bacopa is known to increase cognitive processing, making learning new things simpler and quicker. Trials showed that it importantly improves spatial learning. Bacopa has also been proven to increase learning capacity in subjects under stress. Most people who use Bacopa claim that using it when learning makes it easier to assimilate and recall new information. The CDI studies showed that children taking Bacopa Monnieri demonstrate improved learning abilities.
- Memory Booster: One of the Bacopa’s most potent benefits is improving memory, both in terms of formation of memory and speed of recall. Researches have proven that Bacopa Monnieri importantly enhanced memory in groups of older individuals. Also, ongoing study is examining its potential for treatment of memory-impairing neurological disorders, including Alzheimer’s disease.
- Sleep Aid: It has been proven that Bacopa influences some important neurotransmitters in the brain, particularly Serotonin and Dopamine. Serotonin is responsible for transmission of nerve impulses, well-being and happiness. On the other hand, Dopamine is responsible for learning, attention, memory, sleep, mood and reward functions. With Bacopa positively affecting these neurotransmitters, it would restore the quality of sleep, increase the ability to response to stress and promote a boosted mood.
How It Works
Bacopa affects many systems in the body, but its anxiolytic and nootropic effects are mainly created by its ability to modulate the release of certain neurotransmitters and improve neural communication.
Mood Management and Anti-Anxiety Actions
Bacopa produces its specific soothing effects through various actions. Bacopa Monnieri regulates the loss of Dopamine and stimulates Serotonin. These two important hormones manage mental energy, feelings of euphoria, joy and calm. Bacopa’s managing of these two hormones is responsible for decreasing many symptoms of anxiety and mood enhancement.
Also, one of Bacopa Monnieri’s active ingredients is Hersaponin. It is an alkaloid which has been proven to have relaxing, sedative-like effect.
Researches have also proven that Bacoside-A, one of Bacopa Monnieri’s primary active ingredients, can prevent Dopamine receptor dysfunction. Dopamine, a potent neurotransmitter responsible for brain’s pleasure and reward system, is closely connected to mood.
Stress is also decreased at the chemical level, by regulating the amount of available HSP70, a common biomarker for stress. The result is improved memory and recall, clear mind and freedom from anxiety attacks.
Cognitive and Memory Actions
Bacopa Monnieri promotes cognitive functions and memory by enhancing synaptic communication. It boosts the growth and proliferation of dendrites, the branched nerve cell extensions along which neural impulses pass, increasing neural signalling. This enhanced neural impulse transmission is a key to cognitive improvement.
Bacoside-A has been proven to stimulate neurons and make synapses more receptive to nerve impulses. It also boosts production of the enzyme TPH2 (Tryptophan Hydroxylase). This enzyme is extremely important to many central nervous system activities, including the biosynthesis of Serotonin. The total effects results in amazing recall of information, memory, and a much easier time studying and organizing new facts.
Bacopa Monnieri also enhances the activity of kinases, proteins which regulate cellular pathways and in this way stimulates activity in the hippocampus. The hippocampus is integraly involved in almost all cognitive activities so this is probably one of the most important ways in which Bacopa Monnieri increases brain power.
Bacopa is a potent supplement which can make an enormous positive difference in how people who take Bacopa feel, learn and think, but the key is to find the right dosage. Unlike the Racetams and many other brain drugs which are exceptionally well tolerated even when taken in large amounts, Bacopa Monnieri has the potential for toxicity when used in high doses.
It is also unlike many other nootropic supplements in that it isn’t generally considered to be quick acting and does not normally have noticeable effects instantly. Getting maximum benefits from Bacopa Monnieri may require an extended regimen of regular doses over 4-6 weeks.
Taken on its own, the best Bacopa dosage is between 200 and 400 mg in one day. This total amount should be broken up into 3 equal servings and taken in morning, mid-day, and early evening or late afternoon. It is recommended to begin with the lowest possible effective dosage and build up slowly as necessary, closely monitoring effects and reactions and adjusting accordingly.
Many people who use Bacopa claim that taking this supplement close to bedtime or late in the day helps them sleep better. However, in some cases, thoughts can be so sharp that sleep is difficult. That’s why it is recommended to take it early in the day until you understand how it affects your sleep.
Also, some users find Bacopa Monnieri’s soothing effects so potent that it creates undesirable daytime drowsiness. This can be addressed by taking it closer to bedtime, decreasing dosage or combining it with a more stimulating supplement, such as Oxiracetam, to offset the soothing effect.
The safest Bacopa dose is best taken as a part of a stack product like Alpha Brain. Also, benefits can be replicated with more powerful anxiolyticy, such as Phenibut.
Bacopa is available in both powder and capsule form. It is fat soluble but can be dissolved in hot liquid. Its action can affect digestion, especially when taken on an empty stomach, so it is recommended to take Bacopa with food.
Bacopa works well on its own, but many users consider it to be at its best in combination with other nootropic supplements.
Bacopa is usually combined with other herbal supplements for general health reasons, but for mood management and cognitive improvement it works well to round out just about any nootropic stack. For optimal cognitive performance, Bacopa pairs well with Adrafinil, Piracteam and Pramiracetam. For more physical and mental energy, it works well in combination with Phenylpiracetam and Oxiracetam. For stress and anti-anxiety relief, Bacopa pairs well with other anxiolytic nootropics like Phenibut and Aniracetam.
Whether you are stacking for additional cognitive and energy stimulation or a soothing effect, the addition of a good choline source can be crucial to preventing side effects like headache and realizing maximum benefit.
For most individuals, Bacopa side effects are not significantly. Bacopa has been used as a folk remedy for hundreds of years and is safe and well-tolerated by most individuals. Most side effects are associated with dosage levels, so always begin with the lowest possible effective dosage and build up slowly as necessary.
The most usual side effects of Bacopa Monnieri are fatigue, enhanced bowel movements, dry mouth and indigestion. These side effects are all minor and they often disappear as the body becomes accustomed to this supplement.
In rare cases, Bacopa Monnieri use has caused secretions in the urinary tract, the stomach and the lungs. It can also cause impotency in some men and heart rate problems. These side effects are not the norm, but they can occur.
This supplement is also contraindicated for people who are currently using sedatives like Valium, anti-depressants and thyroid medication. For these reasons, supplementing Bacopa with other nootropics or decreasing the amount of this supplement will be a good way to minimize any risks.
There is a lack of studies to investigate the safety of Bacopa during pregnancy, so women who are expecting a baby are advised to avoid it.
Bacopa is readily available in powder or capsule form. You might want to consider the capsule form if you want convenience. However, you may opt for the more economical powder form if you want more from your money.
Some of the top brand names are Absorb Health and Alpha Brain for capsule form and PowderCity for powder form.
Bacopa is an herbal supplement which has been used for hundreds of years to decrease anxiety, improve cognitive abilities and treat many ailments. If you are looking for all-natural supplement that can relieve anxiety and stress, increase your brain power and even protect your brain against aging, Bacopa Monnieri is a great choice.
Read More Reviews
Zhou – Thyroid Support Complex Review Focus Energy Mood Cognition Energy boosters are an essential component to our lives today. But, as many people do it in a wrong way, there seems to be some stigma over the issue. Eating and drinking a lot of sugar-rich foods will...read more